We were just tooling along in the middle lane in the Motorhome with the Suzuki behind when the car in front swerved hard right because a pickup in front of him lost a big aluminum ladder off of the lumber rack.
I looked right, Big truck in that lane. I looked left, two cars in that lane, so I just lined up the best I could on that ladder and hit it at 60 mph. It made it through until it got to the exhaust pipe where it hung up and then caused about a 6-8 foot section to wad up around the driveshaft. That driveshaft didn't spin many times before it got out of balance and things went real lumpty lumpty from there.
I got over to the side of the road and stopped and looked it over, the ladder was gone and I could hear tires screeching out there in the middle lane,don't know how much was left of that ladder when I got through with it. I was able to move at walking speed about 1/4 mile to an exit where I found a parking lot at a Pizza Joint to lick our wounds.
Unhooked the Suzuki and went looking for a muffler shop that could replace the driveline and tail pipe. Long story, short version. Can't get it fixed until Monday or Tuesday of next week.
About 2 years ago we were traveling in our car and was about 15-20- miles from home when the fuel pump went out, no problem I've got AAA road service, bought it for the wife so she didn't have to change a flat tire. When I called the AAA place they wanted my membership # which told them that like the cheap bastard that I am, I had bought the basic plan which only gives you 10 miles of free towing, then the $ starts adding up. When I finished paying that tow bill, I called AAA and ordered up that 100 mile service which is a little over $100 a year.
That nice lady at the AAA 800 # said Sir, you can thank yourself now for up grading your roadside service 2 years ago, because your going to get a free ride home which is a little over 75 miles away.
They showed up with a tow truck that tows those big 18 wheelers and cut the exhaust pipe loose, and disconnected the bent driveline. We followed in the Suzuki. Now tomorrow I need to clean out the Frig and start looking for a driveline shop. I want to get under there and check it for any other possible damage. The moral of this story is, if you own a RV make sure you up grade your tow policy to something you can live with, becaus towing an RV can get expensive quick.
battle?
2 years ago
How did the ladder get past your toad without hurting it? You were lucky in that respect.
ReplyDeleteIt could have been much worse. Glad everyone came out OK. Will AAA cover old cars? I will have to check them out.
ReplyDeleteDD I was really concerned about the toad also, but it came thru with no damage, in face we drove it home following the motorhome as it was being towed.
ReplyDeleteFrann I think they will cover any thing you are driving. we just have the road service plan that will come and rescue you if you are broken down somewhere. they do not list your car, they will tow what ever you are driving. My wife had a S10 Blazer that had a charging problem, she called them about 3 times for a jump start one month and they came with no problem. I love your effort on your Dirtbag house.